Chest Diseases (or Pulmonary Medicine) Clinic of Emsey Hospital provides scientific and ethical healthcare service in the light of contemporary knowledge to diagnose and treat relevant diseases.
Academic studies are carried out for diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis, which is still an important condition in our country, as well as pulmonary diseases related to smoking such as allergic respiratory tract diseases, asthma, chronic bronchitis, and pleural diseases, lung cancer, respiratory failure, lung infections, environmental and occupational lung diseases, and healthcare services are rendered at inpatient and outpatient settings.
Diagnostic procedures available at our center are:
- Pulmonary function tests
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS)
- Skin prick tests
- Fiberoptic video bronchoscopy
- Biopsy of bronchi, bronchoalveolar lavage
- Pleural biopsy
- Transthoracic lung biopsy (under CT guidance by interventional radiologist)
Respiratory function tests, allergy tests and biopsy and bronchoscopic procedures, if required, in cooperation with radiology department (X-Ray, CT and Ultrasound) are performed at our hospital to diagnose and treat our patients at inpatient and outpatient settings.
Lung cancer is a disease which is characterized by uncontrolled division of cells in the lung tissue. The uncontrolled growth in the lung causes mass lesions in various sizes, which in turn damage both nearby tissue and distant organs (frequently liver, bone and brain) by spreading to such tissues and organs.
What are the risk factors for lung cancer?
- Exposure to second hand smoking
- Exposure to fibrous minerals (asbestos-erionite)
- Signs of hereditary predisposition
- Blood in sputum
- Shortness of breath
- Intermittent wheezing
- Persistent chest pain and arm pain.
- Recurrent or refractory lung infections
- Swelling in neck and face
- Lack of appetite
- Weight loss
- Imaging methods
- Chest X-ray
- Computed tomography
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging