Neurology is the department of medicine that deals with diagnosis and treatment of diseases and injuries in the nervous system.
As the nervous system has a complex structure, there is a very wide range of neurological pathologies and their signs and symptoms. Most common complaints are listed below:
- Loss of strength
- Balance and coordination disorders while walking
- Sensorial deficits
- Altered mental status
- Vision, hearing and smell impairments
- Speech impairment.
It is necessary to visit a neurologist, if one recognizes anyone of above written complaints. Late diagnosis may lead to irreversible damages in neurological diseases as the case with all other medical disciplines.
Neurology Department of Emsey Hospital renders services at national and international standards and all neurological diseases are diagnosed and treated at inpatient and outpatient settings in line with the principles of evidence-based medicine. Some of these diseases are listed below:
- Headache, Migraine
- Blockages or hemorrhages of cerebral vessels (stroke, paralysis)
- Dementia- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s Disease – neurodegenerative diseases
- Infectious of nervous system (encephalitis, meningitis, cerebral abscess etc)
- Demyelinating Diseases (ALS)
- Inflammatory or auto-immune diseases of spinal cord
- Neuromuscular diseases (Myastenia Gravis)
- • Sleep Disorders and Sleep-related Respiratory Disorders
- Restless leg syndrome
Since medications or doses can be frequently modified in the follow-up of neurological disease, the effective communication between the patient and the doctor should be very effective and the conditions should be followed up regularly. Personalized follow-up systems are used in Neurology Department of Emsey Hospital. Moreover, electromyography (EMG), polysomnography (sleeping test) and electroencephalograohy (EEG) tests as well as all radiological imaging methods are performed successfully for diagnosis and follow-up.